In following your instructions to submit to Query Shark, I found that my query isn’t the problem. My novel is. Don’t get me wrong, I LOVE the core idea of my novel. But I knocked it together ALL wrong.
Too much setup. Telling, not showing. Choices without believable consequences. These are concepts that, as a new writer, I wasn’t familiar with. Reviewing the manuscript had always produced a feeling that “things weren’t quite right”. But now I have names to identify the issues.
At first I was devastated. But then I realized it’s not the core idea for my book that sucks; it has lots of potential. I just didn’t do so hot with the writing part. And that I can fix.
So thank you, and back to the drawing board.